The Council was established in 2002 by the amalgamation of the three parish councils
of Aberford, Lotherton cum Aberford and Parlington & Sturton Grange. Councillors
are proud to be continuing a long established statutory provision for local representation
which has existed from around 1894.
The Parish is part of the Harewood Ward of Leeds City Council. It extends northwards
to the A64, incorporating Black Horse Farm and Becca Hall. To the west it extends
to just beyond Leyfield Farm towards Barwick. To the east it extends to Lotherton
(including the Hall) and south to beyond Hook Moor in the direction of Micklefield.
Part of West Garforth (as far as the first roundabout beyond the M1/A1 Link Road)
is also included. The web page accessing the map can be reached by following the
link to the left.
The Councillors vision is to create a community which is attractive and safe for
all residents to live in. Councillors believe that Aberford should continue to provide
for the needs of all residents whilst maintaining its' essential character as an
agricultural village surrounded by highly valued farm and parkland.
All Councillors live within the boundary of the Parish and are independent of any
political party or affiliation. Councillors serve the whole community, endeavouring
to represent residents and promote the best interests of the Parish. No Councillor
is paid, and they give of their time voluntarily.
There are currently seven councillors, with vacancies for an additional four to make
up the full permitted number of eleven. Anyone who wishes to serve will be warmly
welcomed. It is good to draw on the many skills that residents possess as 'many hands
make light work' and a greater number of Councillors would enable the Council to
undertake more projects for the benefit of all.